Lawyer: Water caused
Highland Tower collapse NST 07/01/2000
KUALA LUMPUR, Thurs. - The lawyer for developer Highland Properties Sdn
Bhd told the High Court today that water was the major cause of the
collapse of Block 1 that killed 48 people on Dec 11, 1993. In a written
submission to the court, counsel A.D. Rajah said it was a fact that Block
1 had collapsed after a prolonged period of heavy rain which contributed
to a landslide.
Counsel: Water not cause of
Highland Towers collapse
KUALA LUMPUR, Mon. - The lawyer for the Ampang Municipal Council told the
High Court today that water did not cause the collapse of Block 1 of
Highland Towers that killed 48 people on Dec 11, 1993. In a written
submission to the court, counsel V.S. Viswanathan said: " ... the fact
that water has effectively nothing to do with the collapse of Block 1 and
the forced evacuation of Blocks 2 and 3 is punctuated by the fact that the
water level readings are very low behind the blocks and Blocks 2 and 3 are
still standing ...
Landslip did not start from
AMFB land, court told in Highland Towers case NST 24/02/2000
KUALA LUMPUR, Wed. - A landslide resulting in the collapse of Block 1,
Highland Towers, that killed 48 people on Dec 11, 1993, did not start from
a plot of land belonging to Arab Malaysian Finance Bhd, the High Court
heard today. In a written submission counsel Cecil Abraham, representing
AMFB, said a high wall (located at the foot of a slope behind the blocks)
on Highland Properties Sdn Bhd's land gave way leading to a series of
landslides retrogressing up the slope to AMFB's land.
Highland Towers case:
Counsel names `culprits' NST 25/02/2000
KUALA LUMPUR, Thurs. - The main culprits in the collapse of Block 1,
Highland Towers, that killed 48 people on Dec 11, 1993, were Highland
Properties Sdn Bhd and three others, the High Court heard today. In a
written submission to the court, counsel Cecil Abraham, representing Arab
Malaysian Finance Berhad, said the other three were draughtsman Wong Ting
Sang, engineer Wong Yuen Kean and the Ampang Jaya Municipal Council (MPAJ).
Former Highland Towers
residents of two blocks `have no right'
KUALA LUMPUR, Wed. - Seventy-three former residents of Blocks Two and
Three of Highland Towers cannot claim for losses suffered as a result of
the collapse of Block One because they have no proprietary right over
Block One, the High Court heard today. In a written submission to the
court, counsel Datuk R. R. Sethu who is representing Metrolux Sdn Bhd and
MBf Property Services Sdn Bhd, said a cause of action in negligence would
only be available to a person who was a proprietor or in possession of the
property that was damaged.
State cannot be party in
Highland Towers suit, High Court told
KUALA LUMPUR, Fri. - The Selangor Government cannot be a party in a
negligence suit filed by 73 former residents of Highland Towers because
the identity of the government officer involved was not ascertained, the
High Court heard today. Senior Federal Counsel Nik Suhaimi Nik Sulaiman,
who is representing the Selangor Government and the director of the Land
and Mines Department, said this in a written submission.
Highland Towers collapse:
`Combination of different causes'
KUALA LUMPUR, Tues. - A landslide resulting in the collapse of Block 1,
Highland Towers, that killed 48 people on Dec 11, 1993, was the
combination of a number of causes, the High Court heard today. In a
written submission, counsel N.Navaratnam, who is representing 73 former
residents of Blocks 2 and 3 of Highland Towers, said it was the
"concurrent and co-operating effect" of the increase of water due to
inadequately designed and constructed drainage.
`AMFB knew of hillslope
danger' NST 30/03/2000
KUALA LUMPUR, Wed. - Arab Malaysian Finance Bhd knew of the existing
dangers of free-flowing water on a hillslope behind Highland Towers after
the collapse of Block 1 in December 1993, but only implemented a drainage
scheme last year, the High Court heard today. In a written submission read
in court, counsel Yatis Ramachandran representing 73 former residents of
Blocks 2 and 3 of Highland Towers, said the delay was clearly negligence
and perpetuated a dangerous situation that prevented the reoccupation of
the remaining blocks.
Lawyer: No scope for
KUALA LUMPUR, Tues. - Seventy-three former residents of Blocks 2 and 3 of
Highland Towers are relying on circumstantial evidence against Metrolux
Sdn Bhd and MBf Property Services Sdn Bhd in relation to the collapse of
Block 1 in December 1993, the High Court heard today. Counsel Datuk
R.R.Sethu, representing Metrolux and MBf Property Services, said this in a
written submission in reply, read out in court.
`AMFB could not have
prevented collapse of condo' NST 06/04/2000
KUALA LUMPUR, Wed. - Nothing that Arab Malaysian Finance Bhd could have
done on their land would have prevented the collapse of Block 1 Highland
Towers, the High Court heard today. Counsel Cecil Abraham, representing
AMFB, said this in a written submission in reply. It was read in court
Highland Towers collapse: `MPAJ
protected from liability' NST 08/04/2000
KUALA LUMPUR, Fri. - A lawyer maintained that Ampang Jaya Municipal
Council (MPAJ) is protected from liability in relation to the collapse of
Block One of Highland Towers, the High Court heard today. Counsel V.S.
Viswanathan, who is representing MPAJ, said this in a written submission
in reply, read in court today.
Highland Towers sarang lepak
MA 04/06/2000 By Adam Salleh
KUALA LUMPUR: Lebih enam tahun lalu, pangsapuri Highland Towers di Taman
Hillview, Hulu Klang di pinggir ibu negara, menggemparkan negara apabila
Blok A rebah menyembah bumi jam 1.35 petang, pada 11 Disember 1993, hingga
mengorbankan lebih 55 penghuninya. Berikutan tragedi itu, Blok B dan C di
sebelahnya dikosongkan kerana khuatir akan turut runtuh. Namun, sehingga
kini, kedua-dua blok bangunan itu masih teguh.
Decision on negligence suit
KUALA LUMPUR, Tues. - The High Court has fixed Aug 11 to deliver its
decision in a negligence suit by 73 former residents of Blocks Two and
Three of Highland Towers against Highland Properties Sdn Bhd and nine
others. The judgment will be delivered by judge Datuk James Foong who had
heard the case.
Developers must show concern
before incident occurs
NST 08/08/2000 By I.G.
AS a long-term expatriate resident of Kuala Lumpur and a previous owner of
an apartment at Highland Towers, when I read your article in the City
section (NST, Aug 1) "Living in Fear of Landslides", I thought, "Here we
go again!" Haven't the authorities learnt anything? Do we have to have
another Highland Towers before this rape of the land ceases? I said in
another article when interviewed after the tragedy, "If God was an Asian
developer the world would be flat".
Highland Towers: Mahkamah
dapati tujuh pihak cuai
KUALA LUMPUR, Jumaat - Mahkamah Tinggi di sini hari ini memutuskan tujuh
daripada 10 pihak yang disaman 60 penghuni, waris dan keluarga mangsa
tragedi pangsapuri Highland Towers, Hulu Klang yang runtuh tujuh tahun
lalu, sebagai cuai. Hakim Datuk James Foong yang membacakan penghakiman
160 muka surat bagaimanapun belum meletakkan jumlah ganti rugi yang perlu
dibayar kepada plaintif.
7 culprits to pay MM 12/08/2000By Muzli Mohd Zin
"JUSTICE was done!" This was the response from Highland Towers Owners and
Residents Association chairman Dr Benjamin George after judgement was
passed on their compensation suit yesterday at the High Court in Wisma
Denmark, Jalan Ampang.
What the defendants have to
pay MM 12/08/2000
HIGH COURT judge Datuk James Foong Cheng Yuen said that the seven
defendants would compensate the plaintiffs according to the following
percentages: * Highland Properties (15 per cent)
Highland Towers residents
NST 12/08/2000 By Sujatani Poosparajah
KUALA LUMPUR, Fri. - Seven out of 10 defendants in a negligence suit by 73
former residents of Blocks Two and Three of Highland Towers were today
found to have contributed to the landslide seven years ago that caused the
collapse of Block One killing 48 people. In the trial that saw the
defendants accusing each other of negligence, High Court judge Datuk James
Foong apportioned liability for causing the tragedy and damage to the
plaintiffs as follows:
Residents of Highland Towers
laud decision NSUNT 13/08/2000 By Sujatani Poosparajah
KUALA LUMPUR, Sat. - "Happy" best describes Dr Benjamin George's feeling
after the High Court decided yesterday that seven out of 10 defendants
were negligent in causing the collapse of the Highland Towers' Block One
apartment. Gazing up at the remaining two Highland Towers blocks in Ulu
Kelang today - the site of the tragedy that claimed 48 lives on Dec 11,
1993, - Dr George, 70, along with retired planter P.V. Menon, 71, and
lawyer T.M. Varughese, 67, said they were happy with the judgment.
Padah sikap ambil mudah
HM 21/08/2000 By C Ramasamy
SETELAH tujuh tahun berlalu, Mahkamah Tinggi Kuala Lumpur pada 11 Ogos
lalu memberikan keadilan kepada 48 orang yang terkorban dalam tragedi
kondominium Highland Towers, Ulu Klang, Selangor. Hakim James Foong, dalam
penghakiman setebal 162 muka surat, memutuskan tujuh daripada 10 defendan
yang disaman bertanggungjawab menyebabkan blok satu yang didiami mangsa
terbabit tumbang pada 11 Disember 1993, lantaran menyebabkan penghuni blok
dua dan tiga terpaksa mengosongkan kediaman mereka sehingga kini.
When it's time to learn from
SUM 03/09/2000 By Meera Badmanaban
MANY people will be able to recall the Highland Towers tragedy, in which
48 people lost their lives when Block One of the condominium development
collapsed on December 11, 1993. As a result of this, seventy-three
residents of Blocks Two and Three filed a suit in 1996, seeking RM50
million in damages. Judgment on this claim was finally delivered on August
11, this year. The High Court held that seven parties (out of 10
defendants) were liable for negligence. The decision was delivered by
Justice Datuk James Foong in a 160-page judgment, with the apportionment
of liability as follows:
Gati rugi: Permohonan AMFB
ditolak BM 01/10/2000
KUALA LUMPUR: Mahkamah Tinggi di sini semalam, menolak permohonan Arab-
Malaysian Finance Bhd (AMFB) supaya perbicaraan taksiran ganti rugi kes
saman 73 pemilik pangsapuri Highland Towers, Hulu Klang ditangguhkan
sehingga rayuan syarikat itu diputuskan oleh Mahkamah Rayuan. Hakim Datuk
James Foong yang mendengar permohonan AMFB menerusi peguam belanya, D
Baskharan berkata, perbicaraan taksiran ganti rugi itu perlu diteruskan
dan beliau menetapkan perbicaraan selama tiga minggu bermula pada 5 Mac
hingga 16 Mac 2001.
March hearing to assess
NSUNT 01/10/2000 By Sujatani Poosparajah
KUALA LUMPUR, Sat. - The High Court today fixed March 5-16 for hearing to
determine the amount of damages to be paid to 73 former residents of
Blocks Two and Three of Highland Towers who won their negligence suit
against seven out of 10 defendants last month. Judge Datuk James Foong
also dismissed an application for a stay of proceedings by counsel Dhinesh
Bhaskaran, representing Arab Malaysian Finance Berhad (one of the
defendants), pending an appeal to the Court of Appeal against the
Perbicaraan taksiran ganti
rugi ditangguh BH 13/10/2000
KUALA LUMPUR, Khamis - Mahkamah Rayuan hari ini membenarkan permohonan
Arab-Malaysian Finance Bhd (AMFB) supaya perbicaraan taksiran ganti rugi
kes saman 73 pemilik pangsapuri Highland Towers, Hulu Klang, ditangguhkan
sehingga rayuan syarikat itu diputuskan oleh mahkamah berkenaan. Presiden
Mahkamah Rayuan, Tan Sri Lamin Yunus bersidang bersama Hakim Mahkamah
Rayuan, Datuk Mokhtar Sidin dan Datuk Mohd Saari Yusoff, yang membuat
keputusan itu, akan menetapkan tarikh perbicaraan rayuan secepat mungkin.
Courts stays assessment of
damages NST 13/10/2000
KUALA LUMPUR, Thurs. - The Court of Appeal today stayed the assessment of
damages to be paid to 73 former residents of Blocks Two and Three of
Highland Towers who won their suit against seven of 10 defendants last
month. The assessment proceedings were stayed pending the defendants'
appeal against the High Court decision finding them liable.
Justice to Be Done
05/12/2000 Source: http://www.asiaweek.com/asiaweek/96/0223/letters.html
By Dr. Benjamin George
THE HIGHLAND TOWERS OWNERS & Residents Committee congratulates Asiaweek on
"A Towering Shame: Malaysia Must Punish Its Negligent Builders"
[EDITORIALS, Jan. 26]. It was bold, forthright and to the point.