Boom gate and
booth torn down
Star By CHRISTINA LOW
RESIDENTS of D’aman Crimson Apartments in Kelana Jaya were furious when
Petaling Jaya City Council (MBPJ) enforcement officers demolished the boom
gate barrier and security booth last week.
The boom gate and booth which were placed in Jalan PJU 1A/41A were
destroyed by the council even after Crimson Commercial Park director Yong
Kwai Fatt pleaded with the officer-in-charge.
“We asked the officer to defer the demolition to a later date because we
have relevant documents to prove that the structures were licensed and not
illegal,” said Yong.
Yong said the MBPJ had issued them the licence for the paid parking area
which the company had renewed on Nov 13 and expires next year.
“How can they issue us a licence and then come and demolish the parking
structure without even listening to me,” said Yong.
Going down: A bulldozer bringing down the security booth and boom gate
built in Jalan 1A/41A.
He said the issue started when the council wanted to take over the buffer
zone area behind the apartment near the NKVE which residents were using as
a temporary parking area.
The issue was soon dismissed when the developer showed a temporary permit
issued by the land office allowing them to use the area as parking lot.
Yong said the council later turned down their application to set up a
gated community which they applied for in September.
“We sent another application early this month but was rejected again,
saying we are not allowed to build the security booth on Jalan PJU
1A/41A,” said Yong.
In the letter dated Nov 16, issued by MBPJ’s engineering department stated
that the developer had built the boom gates on a public reserve road which
had to be handed to the council so that it could be maintained by the
council in the future.
“I don’t understand why we can’t have it gated community when other
housing areas which have access roads leading to other neighbouring areas
can have the luxury of putting barriers up and closing the roads at
certain times of the day,” said Yong.
Another resident, who only wanted to be known as Antonio, said the number
of petty thefts has dropped after the introduction of the parking system
some eight years ago.
The residents were furious that the issue had resulted in a harsh ending,
leaving them to seek a public enquiry.
They handed in a memorandum to the Selangor Mentri Besar Tan Sri Abdul
Khalid Ibrahim on Friday, hoping that he would look into the matter.