buyers of abandoned condo urged
06/07/2009 The Star By Fazleena Aziz
THE Platinum Damansara Buyers Pro tem Committee is urging more affected buyers
to come forward in a bid to resolve problems surrounding the abandoned condominium
project in Ara Damansara, Petaling Jaya.
According to the committee, the project developer got into difficulties and
stopped construction in the middle of 2007 without informing the buyers.
In December 2007, the buyers received letters sent by a firm on behalf of
the developer, proposing a takeover by an investor and requesting the buyers
to forgo certain benefits offered when the units were initially sold.
By February 2008, the debenture holder had appointed a company as Receivers
and Managers of the project.
The committee held a meeting with about 50 affected buyers, in the hope of
seeking new avenues they could pursue.
Several issues were brought up by the committee members during the meeting
in Kuala Lumpur on Saturday, such as how the developer did not have a bank
account and that only 30% of the project was completed based on overall assessment,
as well as getting legal aid.
The main concern of the buyers was that most had already paid 80% of the cost
of the units and were looking for a solution to reduce their instalment payments.
Committee chairman Lawrence Ang said they would be seeking the state government’s
help on the matter.
He said they would also be meeting the officers from the National Housing
There are 674 affected buyers of the project.
Those who are affected and want more information can log on to http://platinumdamansara.org/.