Squatters at a complete loss
16/04/2009 The Star By Stuart
SIX years ago, 88 units of houses for former squatters in Taman Selayang
Mutiara Phase 2C2-2, formerly known as Kampung Bukit Botak, were supposed to
have been completed. However, the former squatters, who had been evicted to
make way for the project, have been left in the lurch and are at a loss as
to where they stand.
They had, in 2001, signed an agreement with the project developer, Delpuri
Corporation Sdn Bhd, to buy the houses, priced at RM42,000 and RM69,000. The
agreement stated that the houses would be completed by 2003.
However, the Selangor State Development Corporation (PKNS) took over the
project in 2005 and is now asking the buyers to pay RM80,000 for the units.
Kampung Bukit Botak village head Mohana Rengasamy said the agreement that
the former squatters signed was between the developer and themselves. “There
is no agreement between us and PKNS,” he said adding that the units were 80%
complete but the buyers were unable to shift in.
“Basic amenities like roads, water and electricity supply, drains and the
sewage system have not been completed. Despite this, the buyers still want
to shift in and complete the basic amenities themselves.
“The buyers are also unhappy as they had paid the downpayment of 10% and
have had to rent a place to stay while waiting for their houses to be
completed. This costs about RM500 a month, adding to their burden,” Mohana
said at a briefing for the former squatters at the MCA multipurpose hall in
Kampung Kok Doh in Selayang last Saturday.
Mohana distributed a statutory declaration form to the former squatters for
signature. The form stated the buyer’s willingness to accept the house
without the basic amenities, and to pay the downpayment for the house to the
bank, if they had not already done so.
Housewife Puspah Mayalagoo, 62, who has lived in Kampung Bukit Botak for 26
years, said she couild not afford to pay for the house now that the price
“Since being evicted from my house in 2001, I have had to rent another house
for RM500, and the developer did not reimburse our rental as agreed when we
signed the agreement. It is a burden to me, and we still cannot shift into
our houses after all these years,” she said.
Krishnan Sinnappan, 52, who has lived in Kampung Bukit Botak for 12 years,
said he had paid the 10% downpayment for the house and was unhappy over
PKNS’s decision to raise the price to RM80,000.
Delpuri Corporation Sdn Bhd general manager Ler Chang Koi said PKNS had told
the developer to move out of the area in 2005, and that the developer had
not abandoned the project.
“But, after three years, PKNS itself was unable to finish the job and pushed
the blame to us, saying that we had abandoned the project.
“We are willing to complete the project. However, we need to get a letter of
consent from the PKNS or the state government,” he said.
Selangor local government, study and research committee chairman Ronnie Liu
said Selangor housing, building management and squatters committee chairman
Iskandar Abdul Samad was looking into the issue and residents could bring
their grievances to him.