DPM: More aid coming for flood
29/01/2007 The Star BY MAZWIN NIK ANIS
PUTRAJAYA: More aid is coming up for the flood victims, including a maximum
of RM3,000 to repair their water-ravaged homes and a second round of relief
aid of RM200 per affected family.
Deputy Prime MinisterDatuk Seri Najib Tun Razak announced Monday that the
cash aid was part of the RM1.5bil "loss" the Government had to incur due to
the first and second wave of floods that occurred in the country, mainly in
"The amount is what the Government has to spend to carry out rehabilitation
and repair works, provide aid, relief and other forms of assistance to the
"The figure, however, does not include personal losses incurred by the
victims or losses suffered by the business community," he told reporters
after chairing the disaster management and assistance committee meeting on
In the first round of floods which started on Dec 18 last year, about
148,000 were affected.
In the second round of flood, which started on Jan 12, 134,000 people were
Najib said the government would also have to fork out money for repair
works, including RM350mil for the Works Department to repair roads and
bridges, RM137mil for the Rural and Regional Development Ministry to rebuild
damaged rural roads and RM102mil for the Education Ministry to repair
schools and replace damaged equipments.
The Deputy Prime Minister said the Government would provide up to RM3,000
for house owners to repair their homes and if the repair works cost less,
the exact amount would be paid to them.
Affected families would also be given a second round of RM200 cash aid and
RM500 one-off payment per family to help them purchase new appliances.
"Government-linked companies such as Tenaga Nasional Berhad and TM Berhad
will carry out their own repair works without any financial assistance from
"The committee has also decided that Syarikat Perumahan Negara (SPN) will be
given the task to build 45 homes that were totally damaged by the floods.
"Details of this project will be determined soon and the construction of
these homes would be financed by contributions from members of the public
and corporate sector," he added.
Najib gave assurance that money spent from public contribution would be
accounted for and the Government promised to be transparent in its dealing
and spending of the fund.
"We will only use the money given by the public to benefit the affected
people. We know the victims are facing hardship and are trying to do our
best to help them out," he assured.
Najib said the Government was co-ordinating between Bank Negara and the
International Trade and Industry Ministry to help small businessmen,
traders, small and medium scale enterprises (SME) and companies.
An announcement would be made later once the proposals had been fine tuned.