Bungalow plot purchasers want
The Star 28/01/2000
Two purchasers want a developer to refund their downpayments totalling
RM30,000 for two bungalow plots in Padang Meha, Kulim, as the project appears
to have been abandoned.
One of them, who wanted to be known only as Tan, 38, said she paid the
30% downpayment of RM23,190 to the developer after signing the sale and purchase
agreement in 1996.
She claimed that when the project failed to get off after more than two years,
she sought a refund but was given the runaround.
Tan then hired a lawyer who sent the developer a demand notice on July 27
last year, following which the developer replied that they would let her know
the outcome in due time.
"When I checked the site last month, I saw the place overgrown with wild grass.
The project appears to have been abandoned," she told a press conference organised
by the state MCA Public Complaints Bureau.
Retired Penang Water Authority employee Choo Siew Yin, 59, said she used her
life savings to pay the RM7,000 downpayment last April.
"But when I saw that nothing was done, I tried to get a refund but was unsuccessful,"
Bureau chief Ooi Chuan Aik said he would write to the Housing and Local Government
Ministry and the developer over the matter.
He urged the purchasers to form a committee so that they could collectively
resolve the problem with the developer.
Purchasers can contact Ang Bak Wooi (Tel: 04-2267827/Tel: 04-2267830) at the
MCA office here.